What happens if I am injured at a fight in a bar or club?

Injured in a Bar Fight?

Overdrinking can often lead to situations that get aggressive and confrontational. When bars, restaurants and nightclubs serve alcohol, they must serve enough alcohol to earn a profit for their business; but they also cannot serve so much that they endanger patrons.

Bars and restaurants have a duty of care to their patrons. This means the owner must provide a safe environment for guests and workers on the property. When you are a guest at a bar or nightclub, the establishment has a legal obligation to provide a safe environment, but this does not always happen. Bar fight injuries can be serious and can lead to substantial medical bills, pain and suffering, and lost wages. However, just because someone suffered an injury at a bar does not mean they will have a valid lawsuit.

You can file a lawsuit directly against the person who injured you, but in most cases that person will not have any money, so the real claim is against the Bar for serving too much alcohol to the person you were in a fight with. The law allows an injured patron to hold a seller of alcohol liable in some cases, such as if the establishment ‘knowingly’ served alcohol to a person who was ‘noticeably intoxicated. This is because generally, the club owner is more likely to have an insurance policy from which damages could be recovered. In that case, you will want to see if you have a claim for negligent security against the club and or owner of the club.

If you were involved in a similar incident, our attorneys can help you. You have the right to seek full and fair compensation for your injuries. Cases like this are rarely clear-cut, so it is important to enlist the help of the right attorney with experience in this type of law. We have staff consisting of highly skilled personal injury attorneys who will file a claim on your behalf to recover your damages. Call us now at 732-490-1777!

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this article were created to provide general information, it is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and shall not be construed as legal advice. You should not act upon any information provided in this article without seeking professional legal counsel from an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. No representations are being made as to the completeness or accuracy of the information contained in this article or on this site or sites linked hereto. If this pamphlet is inaccurate or misleading, report same to the Committee on Attorney Advertising, Hughes Justice Complex, CN 037, Trenton, NJ 08625. “No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.”
Scroll to Top